Fares and passes
Faresaver, First Bus, Salisbury Reds and Stagecoach now allow you to purchase tickets on your mobile phone. Details of how to set this up can be found on their websites:
- Faresaver – see www.mymobiletickets.com and select ‘Faresaver’ from the list of operators.
- First Bus mTickets
- Salisbury Reds mobile ticketing
- Stagecoach mobile ticketing
Tickets and fares
You can find ticket prices for the following bus operators by clicking on the links below.
- Faresaver buses click here.
- First bus ticket prices click here.
- Stagecoach ticket prices click here.
- Salisbury Reds services in Salisbury and the south of the county click here.
Please note that different operators offer a variety of payment methods for tickets. For example, you may have options to buy tickets from the driver, online, via a mobile app or from a shop.
First Bath Outer Zone Day tickets are priced at £6 or £6.50 depending on whether you buy the ticket on the bus or use a mobile ticket. The ticket allows unlimited travel for one day on First bus services within 12 miles of Bath city centre which includes Chippenham to the north and Westbury to the south.
First Day tickets (covering the West of England area, including all of Wiltshire) cost either £7 of £7.50 depending on your method of purchase. This is the maximum fare you will pay using First bus services in the area e.g. for journeys from Chippenham or Trowbridge to Bath, Melksham, Salisbury and Frome.
A Salisbury Reds Day Rider ticket, which allows unlimited travel in the Salisbury area, costs £4.20 a day. An ‘explorer’ ticket which covers the wider Salisbury Reds network costs from £8.20 a day. More sample prices are available on their website.
If you are planning a day trip using buses from different operators, you may find it cheaper to use a Day Rover ticket.
These can help reduce the costs of daily travel. Please note the cost of a season ticket may vary depending on your method of purchase. For example, prices may vary depending on whether you buy your ticket online, via a mobile app or directly from a bus driver.
- Stagecoach offers the West Megarider Gold, which allows you to travel for around £4 per day, or £21 per week on their services in the north Wiltshire area.
- Stagecoach also offers the Chippenham Megarider which allows travel between Calne and Chippenham for around £2.70 a day.
- The Thamesdown Travel passplus gives unlimited travel on all Thamesdown and Stagecoach buses within Swindon and to and from Royal Wootton Bassett, Purton and Cricklade for £16.50 a week, which works at around £3.30 a day if you were to use it five days a week.
- Faresaver offers weekly tickets for around £22 a week, depending on your method of purchase.
- First offer either weekly, monthly and annual tickets for the Bath Outer Zone or for the West of England Zone. A weekly ticket for the Bath Outer Zone costs from around £17 whilst a monthly ticket costs from around £80. Annual tickets are also available.
- In the south of the county, Salisbury Reds offer weekly and monthly period tickets for either the Salisbury saver zone or the wider network. Prices for the saver start from £14 a week or £25 a week for the wider network. Annual tickets are also available for the Salisbury zone costing just over £485.
Park & Ride
A return ticket for any of our Salisbury Park and Ride sites costs £3 return. A group return ticket from our park & ride sites is £4 – a group is up to 4 people. You can also buy multi trip tickets which are currently priced at 10 tickets for £14. Please see our Park & Ride page for more information.
Bus and rail tickets
Plusbus tickets are available for Chippenham and Salisbury, and many towns and cities outside of Wiltshire. They are valid on most bus services within the town. The Plusbus website shows the zones covered and participating operators. You can buy these as part of your rail ticket from the ticket office or through Great Western Railway or South Western Railway.
Disabled and eligible older people are entitled to a concessionary bus pass that allows free travel on buses.
Some travel to school is offered free or at a discount by Wiltshire Council. There are also a number of travel discounts available to students and young people. Click on these links for further information:
- First Bus – around £5.00 a day with the West of England tickets
- Plusbus – 33% off bus tickets bought with your rail ticket
- Salisbury Reds – child tickets available up to 19 years old
- Faresaver – students can travel at child rate with valid ID. Annual passes available on some routes.
Did you know?
5% of CO2 is produced by bus compared to 60% from passenger car trips of the UK road transport sector.
Updated April 2018.