Shared path cycling
Code of conduct for shared use paths
When you are cycling, please:
- Give way to walkers and wheelchair users and leave them plenty of room.
- Take care around horse riders especially when approaching from behind.
- Be prepared to slow down or stop.
- Don’t expect to cycle at high speed.
- Be careful at junctions, bends, entrances or any other places where people could appear without warning.
- Don’t assume that everyone can see or hear you.
- Use your bell or call out. Don’t surprise people.
- Keep to your side of any dividing line.
- Use lights when it gets dark or in dull weather. Carry a spare set of lights or batteries with you.
When you are walking, please:
- Listen for bells. Bells are not an order for you to get out of the way. They are to make you aware that cyclists are looking for a safe opportunity to pass.
- Allow cyclists to pass when it’s safe. Remember cyclists need time to brake and stop.
- Keep your dog under control
- Keep to your side of any dividing line. Please be tolerant where space is limited.