There are many friendly bike shops in Wiltshire who can help you keep your bike running smoothly. You should take your bike in for an annual service.
You should also learn some basic bike maintenance including:
Every time you use your bike
- Check the air pressure in your tyres and pump up if needed.
- Make sure your brakes are working
Weekly (for frequent cyclists)
- Oil your chain
- Oil any moving parts of the bike. Take care not to get oil on your brake pads or wheel rims.
- Check your brake pads for wear. They should contact squarely with the wheel rim not the tyre.
- Check the frame for damage and make sure any bolts are securely tightened.
Some of our cycle trainers provide bike maintenance courses, but there are also many online resources such as British Cycling.
Dr Bike Cycle Maintenance Sessions
Connecting Wiltshire arrange periodic drop-in sessions with Dr Bike around the Wiltshire area. This provides a great opportunity for cyclists to get a free ‘check-up’ along with maintenance tips and advice on how to look after their bike.
Any minor adjustments can be made at the session and replacement parts can be supplied and fitted for a small charge.
For any upcoming Dr Bike sessions, please check our News and Events page or our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.