Community rail partnerships are a bridge between the railway and local communities. They allow local people to talk to the rail companies and Wiltshire Council about improvements they would like to see. The focus is on practical initiatives.
This can include:
- Voluntary work to create art and education projects.
- Cleaning up stations and planting flowers.
- Identifying where walking and cycling routes can be improved.
- Special events to promote rail use.
In Wiltshire there are three community rail partnerships
- Heart of Wessex Rail Partnership – this focuses on the line from Bristol to Weymouth, passing through Avoncliff, Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge and Westbury.
- Three Rivers Rail Partnership – this covers the route between Salisbury, Dean, Romsey Southampton, Eastleigh and Chandlers Ford.
- TransWilts Community Rail Partnership – this focuses on the line from Swindon to Salisbury, passing through Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury, Dilton Marsh and Warminster.